Monday, January 6, 2014

Ready Player One - Part III

                The ending of Ready Player One was partially what I had anticipated; the main character Wade Watts won Halliday’s Easter Egg competition. But there were several major twists. I was surprised when I found out that his oldest and closest friend Aech, a typical white guy in the OASIS was actually a black lesbian girl. Secondly, I was not expecting the competition to end as dramatically as it did. An all-out-war on the government players no one liked and they ended up detonating a nuclear bomb killing everyone all of which was completely unexpected. The competition was also extremely close right up until the very end and I was surprised how willing Online Industries was to threaten or kill their competition in order to win. Aside from all these occurrences, the ending was excellent. I liked how the leading players all met in real life, became friends, and teamed up. I thought it was cool how Ogden Morrow, the other founder of the OASIS reached out to the top four players and helped them win to preserve the integrity of the competition. I also liked how his mansion was designed to be like the elf city in Lord of the Rings, which was pretty cool. In the beginning of the story Wade Watts is an overweight loser who lives in a trash heap of recreational vehicles and at the end he is a billionaire and has friends and a girlfriend.

                My favorite thing about the ending was that it contained so many elements that I was not expecting! It kept me on my toes up until the last page and once I had finally finished reading I wanted to know what happened next. I hope Ernest Cline writes a sequel because the end of Ready Player One leaves a lot of possibilities for the future of the champions. Just like the rest of the story, the ending was unpredictable. This made the entire text so much more interesting to read, I was constantly hooked and curious to know what would happen next. Despite how strange the ending was, it was pretty obvious that Wade would be the winner of the competition right from the start. Nevertheless, the ending is certainly appropriate, it was fitting and all of the players both good and bad got what they deserved. The Online Industries’ leaders went to jail for murder and the young winners had everything they had ever dreamed of in the palm of their hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment