Friday, March 21, 2014

Stopping by woods on a snowy evening - Robert Frost

      For my second journal, I have decided to write about one of my all-time favorite poems; Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening by Robert Frost. This poem especially appeals to me now, because it is very calming. The speaker is weary, and wishes he could fall asleep, giving the poem a sleepy and dreamy quality. I find it interesting how you can almost feel the heaviness of the snow, and how noise is muted because of the oppressive blanket. My favorite lines at are at the conclusion of the poem-“and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.” Upon initial reading, the speaker just seems to be exhausted and weary of his journey and day. But, with closer inspection, Robert Frost’s dark poetic nature is revealed. The narrator is truly tired of his life, and he is all alone in a dark thicket of snowy woods. This sight, although very beautiful, reminds the speaker that he is tired of his obligations in life. Despite this dark and horrible thought, the speaker is able to stop and enjoy the lovely, dark, and deep woods. Another aspect I look for in poetry I read in rhyme scheme. Stopping by the Woods on a Snowy Evening has a consistent and strong scheme. It is AABA, CCDC, etc. I have always had a preference towards poems that rhyme because I pay closer attention to the lines and connect with the poet more than I would in most other poems. 

No comments:

Post a Comment